Guess what is this? is it a boat? No...no...it is actually a "congkat".


Have you ever heard about "Congkat"? As the Congkak shaped like a boat and there is a legend saying that a fisherman unable to go to the sea during raining season and he loss his income during this time. He uses the free time to create this game which is similar to his boat.


It is believe that Congkak is the traditional Malay game. Looking at the above photo, congkat is make up of wood craft. There toally has 16 holes with 2 big holes and 7 small holes where holes are make in two parallel in line and the final big hole is called "Kampong" (in English means village).


The game generally started by 2 players sitting face to face and they will putting the small ball called "guli" into hole wood step by step until one party putting his/her ball into final destination which is called "Kampong". The person will winning all the ball that adverse with his/her hole.


In fact, i never play this game before. Mostly this game will playing by Malay friends.

10 comments:

Chan Chee Khiong said...

I played this before. Really fun! Test your mathematical skills too.

John B. said...

I have played that game. But I think that we called it something similar to "mankala". I have played it loads of times and it was a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

In the Philippines, this game is called "sungka"

LiNTEK
http://blog.reodica.org

DineometerDeb said...

I've seen a game like this from Africa. I hope these traditional type games make a come back, and that kids will play this more often instead of video games.

Anonymous said...

we have one almost like that and we call it sungka. :)

Anonymous said...

i never heard actually, until now in your post.

beautiful image.

Sharon "Lucero" said...

This looks like a game I learned from one of my teachers in school. She brought it back from Africa when her family served as missionaries there. It was called Mancala and I've seen it in several places since then. Same concept as yours and it's a lot of fun.

speak in doodles said...

Seems like a fun game!

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite pastime as a kid, here in our country, PH, it is called a sungka.

Anonymous said...

hi there, it is actually congkak. Well, when I was small, I played it with marbles... nice game